Breast milk provides protection against many illnesses, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breast milk for the first year of life. During your pregnancy, you can attend classes and events designed to prepare you for this amazing experience. We also have lactation counselors and nurses specially trained to help you get started shortly after you give birth.
Breast Milk Donor Program
BayCare implemented a Breast Milk Donor Program to provide nourishing human breast milk products to ill, premature babies in BayCare Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU) and NICUs around the country. Eligible mothers within Tampa Bay can now donate their excess breast milk to help premature infants in need. BayCare partnered with Prolacta Bioscience to provide standardized and pasteurized human milk-based formulations for these little ones. When would this be needed? When a baby is born prematurely, their mother's own breast milk may not come in as early as her baby arrived. This 100% human breast milk diet nourishes both premature babies and those who are seriously ill in NICUs.
Why donate to support BayCare preemies?
- It is easy and convenient and can be done from home
- It can be done at no cost to you
- You are eligible to receive reimbursement
How does your breast milk donation help?
- Helps save babies’ lives
- Supports mothers with critically ill babies
- Provides standardized and guaranteed supply of breast milk to BayCare NICUs
Ready to become a donor?
- Do you have extra breast milk?
- Want to make a difference?