A concussion is a brain injury that can be caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, face or neck, or a blow to the body that causes your head to move back and forth quickly. Concussions are not visible.
What do I do if I think my son/daughter has a concussion?
Stop what they are doing and have them examined by a medical professional immediately. Call (855) 252-8452 to schedule an appointment with a board-certified sports medicine physician who specializes in adult and pediatric concussions.*
Can my son/daughter finish the game?
No, they should not continue playing. Florida Law states that any child suspected of suffering a concussion should refrain from game play. The child must have written consent to return to play.
When can my son/daughter return to sports?
After a medical evaluation rules out any other brain injury and symptoms have subsided, they can walk through a series of steps called supervised step-wise return to play. The steps are as follows:
- No activity – rest until completely symptom free
- Light aerobic exercise
- Sport-specific training
- Non-contact drills
- Full-contact drills
- Game play
Facts to remember:
- Symptoms may show up right away, but some may not start for weeks or even months after the injury.
- Things like school tests that require you to concentrate or focus can actually slow your recovery. To recover, you need to rest both physically and mentally.
- Once you have had a concussion you are more likely to have repeated concussions. Take time to fully recover.
Download our Concussion Info Sheet for more valuable information.
*If you feel that the injury requires emergency care, visit your nearest emergency center.
Concussion Signs and Symptoms
- Clumsiness, dizziness or balance issues
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Slow or slurred speech
- Difficulty concentrating
Do you think you have a concussion? Call a concussion expert right now!*
|Board-Certified Sports Medicine Physicians for Adults and Children:
|Kevin Elder, MD
711 S. Dale Mabry Highway, 3rd Floor
BayCare HealthHub (South Tampa)
Tampa, FL 33609
|Ted Farrar, MD
Dr. Fred Brennan DO
Turley Family Health Center
807 N. Myrtle Ave.
Clearwater, FL 33755
|Brian Schutzbach, MD
Suncoast Medical Clinic Gateway
7751 9th St N Ste 10
Saint Petersburg, FL 33702
|For additional referrals: