Breast Cancer Support Services
Coping with a cancer diagnosis requires the support of family, friends, and those living with similar challenges. At Morton Plant Hospital, we try to do all we can to help ensure that support is there for you at every step of your journey: when you are first diagnosed, as you prepare for surgery, while you're in the hospital, once you return home, as you undergo treatment, and after your treatment is completed.
Our services include:
- Breast Care Navigators
- Breast Cancer Education Folder
- Breast Cancer Patient Orientation
- Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS)
- Cancer Programs
- POWER Wellness Program
- Support Groups
- A Place for Her
At Morton Plant Hospital, our Breast Cancer Navigators* — a nurse and a social worker — provide individualized guidance to patients diagnosed with breast cancer. The Navigators follow patients through every aspect of treatment and coordinate their care, including any necessary tests, treatment and follow-up care prescribed by the patient's team of breast health specialists. Additional ways the Navigators assist include:
- Coordinating the Breast Cancer Orientation Program for women recently diagnosed with breast cancer
- Being liaisons between the patient and physicians to ensure better patient understanding of medical recommendations
- Conducting continual assessment of the educational, physical, psychological and social needs of the patient and family members
- Serving as knowledgeable advocates for each patient
- Linking patients with community resources (i.e., co-payment assistance, bill payment assistance)
* This program is funded through a grant from The Florida Suncoast Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Morton Plant Mease Foundation.
Knowledge is power. This folder is designed by breast cancer survivors to inform and empower women who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer. It contains educational information on a wide variety of topics, and a list of community resources and sources for additional information. It is available from any of our counselors in Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS).
Newly diagnosed patients can learn about breast cancer from a panel of Morton Plant Hospital health care professionals. Some of the topics covered include: breast cancer overview, anatomy of the breast, cancer treatment, lymphedema, nutrition, exercise and wellness, Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS) and home health services. This orientation session meets at the Evelyn R. Simmers Oncology Resource Library at the Axelrod Pavilion at Morton Plant Hospital.
For more information or to register, please call (727) 462-7500.
This innovative program is the first and only one of its kind in Pinellas County. Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS) helps cancer patients and their families cope more effectively with the emotional and physical changes resulting from a cancer diagnosis. CaPSS is our commitment to treating the whole person - body, mind and spirit. The program offers the following services free of charge:
- Support groups for patients, family members and friends
- Individual and family counseling by licensed counselors who specialize in oncology
- Stress management and relaxation programs, including guided imagery and Qi Gong
- Case management and patient navigation services, including breast health navigation
- Community cancer education presentations and screenings
- Evelyn R. Simmers Oncology Resource Library
- Access to online cancer information and research
For more information about Cancer Patient Support Services, call (727) 462-2125.
- Camp Living Springs - Sponsored by Morton Plant Mease Volunteer Resources, Camp Living Springs is a free three-day retreat for adult cancer survivors is designed to promote camaraderie, relaxation and shared experiences - all while nurturing the spirit.
- Cancer Survivors' Picnic - Morton Plant Mease Volunteer Resources also sponsors a day-long picnic to celebrate cancer survivors and their families.
- "Look Good... Feel Better" - Co-sponsored by the American Cancer Society, Morton Plant Hospital hosts this free class for women undergoing cancer. You'll be introduced to some useful makeup application techniques that you can use during your treatment. In addition, you'll learn about choosing a wig as well as some creative ways to wear hats and scarves.
For more information about Look Good... Feel Better, please visit BayCareEvents.org or call (727) 462-7500.
The Power Wellness Program is specially designed for our breast cancer patients to empower them with knowledge, emotional support and whole-body wellness. The program provides an uplifting structured exercise experience designed to assist in regaining functional abilities during recovery.
Many cancer support groups targeted specifically for women, young women, caregivers and Spanish-speaking patients meet on a monthly basis. Some of these support groups include:
- Cancer Patients' and Caregivers' Hope Group (patients and caregivers attend this group together)
- Cancer Support for Women
- La Luna De Pinellas (for Latin women with cancer)
BayCare HomeCare is pleased to offer the Florida community, "A Place for Her" featuring a complete line of post mastectomy, lumpectomy, and reconstructive products.
Our products include:
- Breast Prostheses
- Mastectomy Brassieres
- Mastectomy Brassieres
- Recovery (Post Surgical) Camisoles
- Breast Partials, Shapers, and Balancers
- Activity Brassieres
All insurances are required to pay for post mastectomy products. Your physician can provide you with a prescription or have it faxed to us at (727) 461-3762.
Learn more about our local retail locations or to find out how you can schedule an in-home service fitting.