High-Risk Maternity Unit
When new moms experience a high-risk pregnancy, or an emergency arises, we are here with specialized care to help ease your body, mind, and spirit. BayCare offers specialized care and increased sensitivity to these moms experiencing premature labor and other conditions that may challenge their health or the health of their baby.
What is a high-risk pregnancy?
- Pre-existing conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, autoimmune, infectious diseases
- Problems during pregnancy such as high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, or preeclampsia
- Fetal growth and structural anomalies
- Women who are older than 35
- Women expecting multiples (twins or triplets)
- Previously experienced high-risk pregnancies
Inside the High-Risk Pregnancy UnitSt. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital is one of the only hospitals with a high-risk maternity unit in the Tampa Bay area. Dedicated to women who require hospital bed rest during any phase of their pregnancy, BayCare offers comprehensive care, including music and massage therapy and pastoral care.
- Private rooms that include TVs, Wi-Fi, and accommodations for a support person to stay overnight.
- GetWell Network that provides free movies, health videos, internet, and more.
- Full-service support that includes prenatal classes, skilled nursing support, and rehabilitation support.
- Serenity garden to provide calming moments when you need it.
Your high-risk obstetrics team
Our High-Risk Obstetrics team is dedicated to the health and safety of mom and baby. Each diagnosis and treatment is designed to deliver the highest quality care to each patient.
Physicians who have advanced knowledge of obstetrical, medical, genetic and surgical complications that can occur during pregnancy and their effects on both mother and fetus.
- High-resolution ultrasound, including Level II and 3-D ultrasound
- Fetal echocardiography
- Genetic counseling
- Chorionic villus sampling
- High-risk obstetrical consultation
Congenital Heart Nurse Navigator
The Congenital Heart Nurse Navigator serves as a central point of contact for all congenital heart program services. The Congenital Heart Program Nurse Navigator may also meet with parents during the mother’s pregnancy and provide any necessary information on our congenital heart program.
Perinatal Nurse Navigator
The Perinatal Nurse Navigator works closely with patients and their families who are facing a high-risk pregnancy, including those whose baby is diagnosed with a fetal heart defect in the womb.