What is it?
BayCare boasts the world’s most powerful 1.5 high field open MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), combining image quality that’s every bit as good as a 1.5 conventional MRI with the open MRI technology that gives patients the comfort they deserve.
What is it for?
A 1.5 high field open MRI is a good alternative for those that are nervous about an MRI because of closed spaces. It is open on the sides and offers more room and more air flow than a traditional MRI. It is also good for larger patients.
How to prepare
- Discuss your medical history, health problems and allergies with your health care provider
- There is a slight risk of an allergic reaction if contrast material is used
What happens during?
- You may receive some sedation medication to help calm you
- You may feel slightly warm
- You’ll be asked to remain as still and motionless as possible
- You’ll know when images are being created from a thumping or tapping sound you’ll hear
- You’ll have contact with your technologist at all times
- On rare occasions, pain and nausea is experienced. This is usually from allergies to contrast material. Hives, itchy eyes and other reactions could also happen from contrast material allergies.