Recipe: Roasted Chilled Fall Harvest Salad
10/12/2022 10:31:29 AM
Looking for a quick, healthy and tasty recipe? Try this delicious roasted chilled fall harvest salad from St. Joseph's Hospital's Executive Chef JJ and Clinical Dietitian Nutritionist Summer Kessel.
This is a great “make ahead” marinated salad of roasted fall fruits and vegetables. The salad showcases how layering flavor and eating your veggies is an easy (and tasty!) way to liven up any potluck or holiday gathering.
- 3 ea. Apples or Pears, Wedge Cut (choose a firm and crisp variety)
- ½ # Carrots, Bias Cut
- 1# Parsnips, Bias Cut
- 1.5# 1 medium Winter Squash (Acorn, Pumpkin, Butternut)
- 2 ea. Medium Red Onion, Wedge Cut
- 10 spritz Avocado Oil Spray
- 2 tbsp. Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Chicken Grilling Blends
- 2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
Mason Jar Vinaigrette:
- 1 ea. 1 Quart Mason Jar (or other similar sized container)
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 bunch Parsley (Fresh), Minced
- ¾ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper (Fresh Ground Preferred)
- 2 tsp. Salt, Kosher, Coarse
- 1 ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Topping and Mix-Ins:
- 4 oz. Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 4 oz. Dried Cranberries
- 2 oz. Arugula
- Pre-Heat your oven to 325F (convection- with fan) or 350F (conventional- no fan).
- Wash and prepare apples, carrots, parsnips, squash and onion. (Chef Tip: each piece should be about 2 “bites” in size, roughly the size of your thumb)
- In a large mixing bowl spray with the avocado oil and season with Mrs. Dash and Poultry Seasoning. Toss to coat and spread in an even layer on a large rimmed sheet pan.
- Roast veggies for approximately 45-55 minutes, until they are tender and lightly charred on edges.
- WHILE VEGGIES ARE COOKING gather ingredients for Mason Jar Vinaigrette.
- To your mason jar add the maple syrup, mustard, parsley, apple cider vinegar and salt & pepper.
- Cover and shake until mixed.
- Add ½ cup of the olive oil and shake until mixed.
- Add remaining olive oil; shake again until the additional olive oil is emulsified and a smooth dressing is made. (Chef Tip: This is a great activity for overactive children!)
- Remove veggies/fruit from oven and allow to cool on counter top for 2 hours.
- Transfer to a storage container or plastic bag and add ½ of the vinaigrette, toss to combine and place in the fridge to marinate overnight. (This can be made up to 2 days ahead of time)
- Gather your remaining ingredients (don’t forget the rest of the dressing) and head to your favorite Holiday get together!
- Place a bed of arugula in a large bowl or platter and top with marinated vegetables. Garnish with pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries.
- Shake your dressing again before serving and add more on top, or reserve to the side if desired.
Yield: Hearty Salad course for 8-12 people.
Make it a meal! If your heart and your diet desire consider adding ONE of the following:
- Crumbled Blue Cheese or Parmesan Cheese
- Grilled Portabello Mushrooms
- Shredded Roasted Chicken
- Blackened Salmon Fillets with Garlic Butter
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- 400 Calories
- Fat 30.1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 489mg
- Total carbohydrates 35.4g
- Protein 5.3g
- Sugar 16.3g