Healthy Holiday Oatmeal Apple Chew Cookies
12/4/2020 9:33:51 AM
Tis the season for cookies! Celebrate the holidays with a favorite from JJ Layton, executive chef at BayCare’s St. Joseph’s Hospitals. Try this healthy and delicious recipe for oatmeal apple chew cookies. They’re gluten free and vegan too!
- 3 cups cereal, quick dry oatmeal
- 3 small/individual packets of any recommended sugar substitute
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 Golden Delicious apple
- 1 Red Delicious apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- Preheat a convection oven to 312F (conventional to 340F)
- In the work bowl of a food processor combine the oatmeal, sugar substitute (optional), baking soda and spices.
- Turn on and process until ground into a powder (approximately 30 seconds)
- Peel and add bananas, puree until uniform and thick, (like cold peanut butter)
- Transfer oatmeal mixture into a large work bowl.
- Small dice (the size of a pea) the apples and add to mixture.
- Add dried fruits and mix until evenly combined.
- Use a #40 portion scoop (just under 2 tbsp) to shape the cookies into 30 equal size balls.
- Evenly space on a parchment lined cookie sheet and lightly press down.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes (conventional 14-18 minutes) until light golden brown (these chews will not spread)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Enjoy!
Yield: 30 cookies
- Portion:7/8 ounce
- Fat 0.6 gm
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 43 mg
- Fiber 1.5 gm
- Calcium 7 mg
- Calories 55 cal
- Carbs 11.7 gm
- Protein 1.5 gm