CLEARWATER, Fla., (October 29, 2015)
– In recognition of Diabetes Awareness Month, BayCare Health System is teaming up with YMCA locations around the Tampa Bay area to offer free diabetes screenings in November. St. Anthony’s Hospital also will be providing screenings at several St. Petersburg locations.
“We recognize that diabetes affects more than nine percent of the U.S. population,” said Teresa Bradley, M.D., of St. Anthony’s Physician Development, who is leading a BayCare initiative to prevent the occurrence of Type II diabetes. “We want to be proactive in helping the people in our community learn if they have the disease or are pre-diabetic. Then they can get the support they need to make changes for a healthier lifestyle.”
Fasting is not required for the BayCare-YMCA events which are scheduled for:
- 5-8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 10: Clearwater YMCA, 1005 S Highland Ave., Clearwater
- 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11: Jim and Heather Gills YMCA, 3200 First Ave. S, St. Petersburg
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 14: South Tampa YMCA, 4411 S Himes Ave., Tampa
Some 29 million people in the United States either suffer from diabetes or are undiagnosed, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. Diabetes can put patients at greater risk for other health concerns such as heart disease and stroke, according to the National Institutes of Health.
In addition to the YMCA events, St. Anthony’s Hospital also will offer several screenings at these locations:
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 31: Sanderlin Center, 2335 22nd Ave. S, St. Petersburg
- 6 a.m-6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 4: St. Anthony’s Hospital Cafeteria (Ground Floor), 1200 Seventh Ave. N, St. Petersburg
Registration is required for the upcoming free screenings. For more information and to the register, please call toll-free 1-855-269-4777
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is currently being offered at St. Anthony’s Hospital in addition to other locations throughout the bay area. The yearlong program works to prevent diabetes through education, activity and maintenance. A new session will begin at St. Anthony’s on Nov. 16. For more information on that program, please call (727) 697-7155.
BayCare is a leading not-for-profit health care system that connects individuals and families to a wide range of services at 13 hospitals and hundreds of other convenient locations throughout the Tampa Bay and central Florida regions. Inpatient and outpatient services include acute care, primary care, imaging, laboratory, behavioral health, home care, and wellness. Our mission is to improve the health of all we serve through community-owned, health care services that set the standard for high-quality, compassionate care. For more information, visit www.BayCare.org.