Recipe: Holiday Pumpkin Maple Almond Drops
These pumpkin maple almond drop cookies are a gluten-free, vegan, low sugar option for the holiday season. They’re not overly sweet and are great with a cup of black coffee to warm your holiday spirit.
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice, brown, long grain
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup sliced, blanched almonds
- Combine uncooked oatmeal, rice, cornstarch, spices and salt in a dry blender and grind until a fine powder is achieved.
- In a separate bowl using a stand mixer, combine syrup, applesauce, olive oil and pumpkin. Use a paddle attachment to mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until uniform and smooth.
- Combine wet mix and the bowl of dry ingredients on low mixer speed for an additional 2-3 minutes until a thick dough has been achieved.
- Cover for at least 30 minutes to allow dough to hydrate.
- Line sheet pan with parchment paper and using a medium portion scooper (#30 scoop), portion 2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto parchment paper. Using a firm even motion, drop or tap pan on counter to flatten cookies to 3/8 inch high.
- Top cookies with a few almond slices.
- Bake in a 350F conventional oven (325F convection oven) for about 12-14 minutes or until edges of cookies are light brown and bottoms appear done.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from sheet pan.
Yield: 24 cookies
- Calories 80
- Fat 3.5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 140mg
- Total carbohydrates 11g
- Protein 1g
- Sugar 2g