Teen Volunteer Program
High School Students should email WHHVolunteerServices@baycare.org for our Teen Volunteer Program information and application in April. The program accepts applications annually in April with a mandatory orientation session in May for Teen Volunteers to begin service at completion of school year.
Volunteer Service Areas and Shifts (4 hours shifts, 1 day per week)
- Ambassador/Escort- Serve as a greeter and escort for patients, visitors and all other guests entering the hospital and escort them to their destinations.
- Gift Shops for Winter Haven Hospital and Winter Haven Women's Hospital, where retail experience is greatly appreciated.
- Tram/Shuttle Service: Transport patients, visitors, employees to and from parking areas.
- Procedural Waiting Areas & Surgery Waiting Room: Act as the liaison between families and patients.
- Pet Therapy (Dogs Only): Bring your special dog, after training, to interact with the patients, families and staff (minimum 1 hour service shifts).
- Clerical opportunities.
What You Can Expect From Us
- An orientation to our hospital.
- Training and a service description specific to your volunteer assignment.
- Flexible schedule or mornings, afternoons, evenings or weekends.
- Free TB test.
- Free flu shots.
- Free parking in designated areas.
- Discounted meal tickets.
- Discount at the Gift Shop.
- Invitations to the Annual Appreciation Banquet and other appreciation events.
- New friendships with others who share your commitment.
- Special uniform which you purchase.
- A criminal background investigation and personal reference checks.
Our volunteers are members of the Winter Haven Hospital Auxiliary with annual membership dues of $5 per year. As a member, you will receive much personal satisfaction by being a part of all special fund-raising events that benefit the many patient care projects and health-related scholarships provided by the Auxiliary. You may also elect to serve in a leadership role on the Auxiliary Board.
After completing the formal volunteer application, information sessions are scheduled for applicants to learn more about the volunteer program’s opportunities and expectations. Following these sessions, every effort will be made to match our applicant’s "special" skills, talents and abilities to hospital needs.