Brain Injury Program
The Brain Injury program is a unique outpatient rehabilitation program offering a team approach to treating adults with brain injuries. The program is designed to evaluate and treat physical, thinking, speaking, emotional and behavioral problems associated with a brain injury. The focus is on improving an individual’s ability to perform daily self-care, homemaking, and leisure and work activities within their communities. Treatment is provided individually or in groups. Successful return to community is our goal!
Physical therapy, Occupational therapy, Speech and Language Pathology, and Neuropsychology services are available. We have a RN/case manager to assist with medical education and finding resources for you and your family. Referrals may also be made to outside resources for services including diabetic education nutrition consultation, Meals on Wheels, etc. Team members will help with accessing these community resources as appropriate.
Our dedicated team is sensitive to the physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral changes that can occur following a brain injury. A neuropsychologist is available to provide guidance to the person and caregivers in addressing behavioral/emotional changes. Each person’s program will address and respect the person’s individual needs and goals, cultural and spiritual beliefs, and values. A referral/prescription from a Florida licensed physician is required to begin therapy. The frequency and duration or your treatment is dependent on physician orders, therapist recommendation and authorization from your funding source. Provision of service may be affected by payor source requirements.
Our facility is a hospital-based outpatient setting that is accessible to the public and is open Monday through Friday from 8 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. We are located on first floor of Winter Haven Hospital near the South Entrance. Persons are referred by physicians or case managers. We are accessible by public transportation. If eligible, our staff can assist in accessing transportation.
Winter Haven Hospital Outpatient Rehabilitation Clinic accepts Worker’s Compensation, Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Program, and most commercial insurance, Medicare, Medicare HMO and Medicaid programs. The financial counseling department of Winter Haven Hospital will arrange payment plans for cash accounts. Winter Haven Hospital is a not-for-profit hospital and part of BayCare Health System.
- Age 18 or older
- Medically stable
- Prescription from a Florida-licensed physician
- Diagnosis related to a brain injury
- Ability to tolerate and participate in outpatient rehab program
- Reasonable expectations of improvement in function
- Identified funding source or approval from financial counseling
- Not harmful to self or others
- Free of unprescribed drugs and alcohol for duration of the program
- For which Outpatient rehab is deemed the most reasonable/appropriate level or care (by physician, patient, family members and outpatient rehab team).
- Goals are met and or maximum benefit has been achieved
- May be discharged at the end of their authorized treatment period, as per their funding source. Further financial options can be explored as needed
- If not compliant with attendance (3 no show or consistently cancelling appointments)
- Inability to benefit or need for another level of care
- Evidence of abuse of alcohol or illegal drugs
A written summary and home program is provided at discharge. If another level of care is necessary, assistance in obtaining treatment will be offered by one of our team members.
The Outpatient Rehabilitation Medical program reviews outcomes of past populations to predict outcomes for current treatment. We look at national data for similar diagnoses and use this data to measure our success. Outcomes for this program are available on our website at BayCare.org. Our patients are surveyed after discharge by telephone at 30 and 90 days to discuss the carryover of their functional gains.
If you are interested in a tour or have additional questions, please call (863) 292-4061.