Therapy is an important part of your stay at Madonna Ptak Morton Plant Rehabilitation Center. Therapy hours are from 7am to 6pm. Your scheduled time for therapy will be written on the dry erase board in your room. Much of our therapy treatment is one-on-one. Family training is available; please speak with your therapist as needed. A service partnership is very important to your maximum recovery, which means your participation in your care is extremely important.
Our physical therapists help patients achieve their maximum physical ability. They carefully evaluate their patients’ conditions and implement individualized treatment programs to optimize movement, flexibility and muscle control; build strength and endurance; and improve balance.
Depending on the individual’s needs, treatment may include:
- Exercise to increase strength, range of motion, flexibility, balance and coordination
- Use of various pain relief methods such as heat/cold, water, electrical stimulation, therapeutic massage and joint mobilization
Our occupational therapists help patients gain independence in perforFming daily activities, from dressing to eating to more complex tasks needed at home, the workplace or in the community. Programs are designed to increase strength, range of motion and coordination through exercise, and to enhance skills in actual or simulated settings. Individualized treatment may include:
- Hand and upper body rehabilitation
- Creation and use of splints
- Daily living training
- Adaptive equipment assessment/training
- Developmental intervention and safety awareness assessments
Our speech language pathologists help adults who may have experienced speech, language, cognitive or swallowing problems due to brain injuries such as stroke or tumor. Treatment may include:
- Language therapy: listening, talking, reading or writing deficits
- Cognitive therapy: memory, reasoning or judgment concerns
- Swallow function studies and treatment for patients with swallowing difficulty
Our respiratory therapists provide patients with breathing evaluations, treatments and monitoring of respiratory difficulties. If you have your own CPAP or BiPAP machine, we ask that you bring it to the Center during your stay.