The gastrointestinal tract, also called the GI tract or the digestive tract, encompasses everything from the mouth to the anus. Food and liquid pass through the GI tract so that the body can glean energy and nutrients while expelling wastes. Gastroenterology is a branch of medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the digestive system.
Morton Plant Hospital is proud to offer a variety of surgical gastrointestinal treatments for patients throughout the Tampa Bay area. Conditions we treat include esophageal diseases such as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), intestinal disorders including diverticulitis, and inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
Laparoscopic and open gastrointestinal surgeries offered at Morton Plant Hospital include, but are not limited to:
- Appendectomy – removal of the appendix due to inflammation or infection of the organ
- Colonoscopy/endoscopy – diagnostic procedure that examines the throat or rectum by inserting a scope
- Colostomy – brings the healthy end of the large intestine through an incision in the abdominal wall as a means of expelling waste from the body
- Esophageal resection – removal of the esophagus and possibly nearby lymph nodes to treat esophageal cancer, obstructions, or fissures
- Fundoplication – treats GERD and hiatal hernia by wrapping the upper portion of the stomach (fundus) around the esophagus
- Gastrectomy – partial or full surgical removal of the stomach to treat cancer, bleeding, inflammation, or ulcerative disease
- Hemorrhoidectomy (internal and external) – removal of dilated veins in the anal region to mitigate pain and bleeding
- Whipple – a surgical treatment for pancreatic cancer that involves removal of the duodenum, a portion of the pancreas, and a portion of the stomach
Learn more about gastroenterology services at BayCare.
To learn more about the gastroenterology services offered at Morton Plant Hospital, please call (727) 462-7500 or find a gastroenterologist near you.