Stroke Care Services in Bartow, Florida
When a patient comes to the hospital with stroke symptoms, it’s crucial to make a proper diagnosis quickly in order to begin treatment — immediate treatment can help avoid or minimize the effects of stroke. Bartow Regional Medical Center has been designated as Primary Stroke Center by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) in the state of Florida. A Primary Stroke Center is where patients are advised to go first to receive stroke care.
Strokes are not painful, so individuals must be able to recognize the symptoms of a stroke or mini-stroke, also known as TIA (transient ischemic attack), and seek medical treatment. About one-third of strokes occur in individuals younger than 65.
- Sudden numbness of the face, arm or leg, usually on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, or difficulty in speaking
- Sudden vision problems
- Sudden difficulty in walking
- Sudden dizziness and/or loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
The warning signs of mini-strokes or TIAs are the same, except that the conditions are temporary. For example, an individual might experience numbness in the face or arms, but regain feeling in a few minutes, or have difficulty seeing but then regain normal vision a few minutes later. TIAs are a warning that the body is likely to experience a stroke. It is extremely important to seek medical evaluation and preventive treatment as quickly as possible.
If you or a loved one is exhibiting signs of a stroke, call 911 or visit an emergency room immediately.
Stroke victims that receive immediate treatment are much more likely to make a full recovery. Specialized treatments can significantly improve recovery and can, in some cases, greatly reduce or eliminate the harmful effects of a stroke.
At Bartow Regional Medical Center, you can count on:
- Speed – Treatments given during the first three hours after a stroke can greatly reduce or even reverse the effects of stroke, so our stroke care professionals are ready to jump into action immediately.
- Expertise – Bartow Regional Medical Center’s doctors, nurses, emergency professionals and other specialists meet high educational standards, and are specially trained to identify stroke symptoms and administer the latest treatments.
- Technology – Bartow Regional Medical Center’s stroke care experts utilize the most advanced testing and imaging technology available, allowing them to identify the type of stroke within minutes so they are able to begin treatment. Our CT scanner provides the necessary speed and resolution required for rapid imaging of blood vessels in the brain, so doctors can begin treatment as quickly as possible.
Expert Treatment for Stroke
Our highly trained stroke care experts are well equipped to deliver life-saving care for ischemic strokes through the delivery of thrombolytic therapy, clot-dissolving medicine used to treat ischemic strokes.
Stroke Care Extends through Recovery
Our rehabilitation care is designed to help individuals regain their independence, and includes specialized services for stroke recovery. Bartow Regional Medical Center’s multidisciplinary rehabilitation team provides caring, personalized assistance to help patients meet their goals.
Learn more about the signs and symptoms, risk factors and prevention of a stroke.