What You Can Do To Help Us Keep You Safe
10 Tips to Help Us Keep You Safe
Research has shown that the best way to prevent medical errors is for patients and families to take an active part in their health care. You can take part in every choice about your health care in these 10 simple ways:
- Make sure every health care provider who cares for you checks your name band.
- Voice (or write down) any questions or concerns you may have. Ask a family member or friend to speak for you if you are unable to do so.
- Let us help you out of bed until we know you are steady on your feet. We do not want you to fall.
- Make sure your doctor and nurse know every medication you take. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, herbs and diet supplements (like Ensure®).
- Ask what each medications, is for, if it is new to you.
- Make sure you know what the side effects of a medications might be and what to do if you have them.
- Find out why a test or treatment is needed and how it may help you.
- Ask your doctor about the results of any test you may have had done. Do not assume “no news is good news.”
- Ask all who have direct contact with you if they have washed their hands. It’s the best way to prevent the spread of germs.
- Be sure you know what to expect when you go home.