Child Life Practicum Program
We are pleased to announce that we will be accepting practicum student applications for our Winter/Spring 2023 Semester due September 5, 2022.
St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital’s practicum experience is a 100-hour, 6-week program that provides students with an introduction to the field of child life while helping them to develop the skills needed to obtain a child life internship. As an observer, practicum students will have the opportunity to shadow Certified Child Life Specialists in their unit & learn the fundamentals of assessment, child life intervention planning, & applying theory to practice.
Pre-requisites for Practicum Applicants
- Current enrollment in (or completion of) a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program in a related field of study
- Recommended majors: Child Life, Child Development, Family/Human Development, Psychology, Therapeutic Recreation, Early Childhood Education, etc.
- A minimum of 5 completed courses related to the Child Life field
- Examples: child development, family systems, psychology, child life, etc.
- 50 hours of experience working with children in a hospital setting
- 50 hours of experience working with well children
- Completed & signed application form
- Current resume
- An unofficial transcript from each university you have attended
- Two letters of recommendation (advisor, supervisor, child life specialist, etc.) Letters must be signed.
- Verification of 50 hours experience working with well children (Must be signed & on letterhead, if applicable).
- Verification of 50 hours experience working with children in a hospital setting (Must be signed & on letterhead).
- Typed answers to supplemental questions provided on the application.
Failure to submit the required documents by the application deadline will result in your application not being processed.
We do not accept students who are affiliated with a college/university, however, we will consider students who want to complete the practicum independently of your program’s requirements. Please note that the practicum will not count towards your degree requirements if you choose this option. Please determine if your school requires an affiliation agreement prior to submitting your application.
How to apply:
Mail in your completed Practicum Application along with all supplemental materials to:
St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital
Attn: Brittany Hamilton, MS, CCLS
Child Life Department
3001 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital Practicum Program follows the internship guidelines & deadlines set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals. All applications should be postmarked by the deadline for the semester that you are applying for.
Winter/Spring Practicum 2023Application Deadline: September 5, 2022
Acceptance Date: October 9, 2022
2nd Offer Date: October 10, 2022
Summer Practicum 2023Application Deadline: January 5, 2023
Initial Offer Date: February 11, 2023
Acceptance Date: February 12, 2023
2nd Offer Date: February 13, 2023
Fall Practicum 2023Application Deadline: March 15, 2023
Initial Offer Date: May 5, 2023
Acceptance Date: May 6, 2023
2nd Offer Date: May 7, 2023
Applicants will be notified via email within 2 weeks of the application deadline if they have advanced or not to the interview phase of the selection process.
For any further questions, please contact us via email, Practicum.ChildLife@baycare.org.