Inpatient Rehabilitation at Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital
The Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital at Morton Plant North Bay in New Port Richey, FL, is a 9-bed acute care inpatient rehabilitation facility specializing in neurological and orthopedic rehabilitation. Mitchell Rehabilitation is Joint Commission-accredited. This designation demonstrates our commitment to the highest level of quality standards and customer service.
Through an interdisciplinary team approach, we address the medical, physical, cognitive and emotional needs of our patients. Services are individualized to address every patient’s unique needs. Specific programs are planned with our patients and the medical director, nurses and therapists. When a patient is discharged, it is coordinated with our Social Services team member.
To meet the needs of all persons served, Mitchell Rehab now offers 9 private, fully renovated rooms, each with walk-in shower, a home training unit equipped to simulate a home environment, an outside training patio with multiple surfaces for gait training, and a multi-purpose area for family and guests' comfort.
Our mission is to improve the health of all we serve through our community owned health care services that set the standard for high-quality, compassionate care. Our focus is to provide treatment consistent with our core values of Trust, Respect, Dignity, Responsibility and Excellence. We will:
- Assist patients in regaining optimum lifestyle
- Maximize functional independence
- Educate patients and their families about lifestyle adaptations
- Help patients accept limitations that cannot be resolved
- Case manager/social worker
- Occupational therapist
- Physiatrist: doctor who specializes in rehabilitation medicine
- Physical therapist
- Recreation therapist
- Rehabilitation nurse
- Respiratory therapist
- Speech-language pathologist
What to Expect During Your Stay
Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital at Morton Plant North Bay Hospital is an inpatient rehabilitation facility. Admission to the facility is appropriate for persons with complex nursing, medical management and rehabilitative needs. Rehabilitation is a bridge from the hospital to home. Patients actively participate in goal setting, program planning, treatment sessions and discharge planning. As your healing progresses, the team will focus on transitioning you into the community. In the event that you need to transition to a different level of care, our team will assist you through this process.
- Patients must meet medical necessity* for inpatient rehabilitation facility
- Provide the required minimum three hours of therapy per day including physical therapy (PT), occupational therapy (OT) and/or speech therapy (ST) for a minimum of five days a week, Monday-Saturday, or 15 hours total over a seven-day period if the person served is unable to tolerate three hours a day due to specific medical condition (dialysis, for example)
- Facility will provide skilled rehabilitation nursing 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Supervision by a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician (physiatrist) daily, with face-to-face visits at least three days a week to assess and modify treatment as needed
- Facility will provide supplemental services including recreation therapy (individual or group), respiratory therapy and wound care as needed
- Facility accepts patients who have a reasonable discharge plan
- Facility expects patients to actively participate in rehabilitation to improve functional capacity or adaptation to impairment
- A Team Conference is held weekly to discuss your progress. The case manager/social worker will notify you of the updated rehabilitation plan after each meeting.
* Medical necessity includes but is not limited to appropriate diagnosis, presence of medical comorbidities necessitating supervision by a rehabilitation physician, and reasonable discharge plan.
Expectations for You and Your Family/Caregiver
- At Mitchell Rehabilitation Hospital, we strive to provide you with the best care possible. You and your family/caregiver are an integral part of our team. It is very important for you to actively and willingly participate in your rehabilitation to achieve success in your rehabilitation.
- Participating in morning care/activities of daily living (ADL) including dressing, grooming, bathing, toileting, self-care
- Participating in physical therapy (exercises to improve strength, flexibility, activity tolerance and balance, bed mobility and transfer training, gait training, stair climbing)
- Participating in occupational therapy (exercises with specific focus on the upper body, balance, self-care and ADL training, hand dexterity and coordination training)
- Participating in speech therapy if indicated (speech, swallow and cognitive training)
- Participating in recreational therapy (individual or group activities)
- Participating in supervised rehab dining, when appropriate
- Staff will assist you as needed, but you must try your best in all aspects of functional mobility to gain your highest independence possible.
- Visiting hours: Guests must observe visiting hours of 4-8pm. Approval is required for extenuating circumstances.
- Therapy schedule: PT/OT/ST therapies are scheduled Monday through Saturday. Recreational therapy and activities are provided Monday through Friday and on Sundays per schedule.
- Family and caregiver orientation will be offered at the start of the program. Family training may be requested as part of your discharge planning. It is important for you to be involved in both so you can learn how to better care for your loved one.
Breakfast is served between 7:30am and 8am. Your morning may begin with occupational therapy, assisting you with activities of daily living (e.g., grooming, dressing, etc.). You will then participate in one or more of these therapies: physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and/or recreational therapy. Following lunch, your therapy program continues. Dinner is served at approximately 5pm. Evening hours may be spent with family and friends.
The Saturday therapy schedule is the same as the weekday schedule, with therapies provided from 7:30am to 4:30pm. On Sundays, only recreational therapy and activities are scheduled.
For more information about our inpatient rehabilitation programs, services, admission criteria, and discharge/transition criteria, please call 727-843-4586 or view our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Learn more about the Portable Health Profile.