What To Do If Your Child Swallows Poison

A poison is any product or substance that can harm someone if used in the wrong way, by the wrong person or in the wrong amount. Substances commonly found at home that can be poisons include household cleaning products, chemicals for gardening and prescription and over-the-counter medicines. If your child swallows a poison:

  • Don't panic.

  • Call the poison-control center or 911.

  • Read the label of the ingested product to the medical specialist on the phone.

  • Follow the instructions of the medical personnel precisely. Don't induce vomiting unless told to do so. Vomiting can cause further damage if lye, dishwashing detergents, drain cleaners, paint thinners and certain other substances were swallowed.