Take the Tetanus Quiz
Tetanus is an infection that affects the nervous system. It’s also called lockjaw. Most children are vaccinated against it, but that protection wears off with time. Adults need a booster shot to keep their immunity up to date.
1. Tetanus is caused by a virus.
2. In the U.S., most cases of tetanus are found in people who are over 60.
3. Adults should get a tetanus booster once every 5 years.
4. Tetanus can be passed from one person to the next.
5. Symptoms of tetanus infection include headache and difficulty swallowing.
6. Once you have finished your childhood series of tetanus shots, you won't ever get tetanus.
7. You should see a doctor if you get a deep wound.
8. Symptoms of tetanus infection show up within a day of exposure.