Specialized Equipment for Sleep Disorders
BayCare's many Sleep Disorders Centers throughout the Tampa Bay area utilize the latest technology when it comes to diagnosing and treating sleep disorders. Our expert team of physicians and medical professionals is highly trained in using state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment. Below are some examples of the specialized sleep disorder equipment used at our Sleep Disorders Centers for diagnosis and treatment:
- Polysomnograph – A diagnostic machine that monitors brainwaves (EEG), eye movements (EOG), muscle tone (EMG), heart rate (ECG), breathing, snoring, body position, and blood oxygenation. The results of the overnight sleep study will help us to determine if you may have a sleep disorder.
- Actigraph – An actigraph device is a small wristband that continually monitors motor activity, sleep patterns, and circadian rhythms. Your physician may recommend wearing the device for several weeks and keeping a sleep diary during this time.
- CPAP machine – Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) helps to keep the airway open during sleep for patients who have obstructive sleep apnea. The appropriate degree of pressure will be determined by a polysomnogram technologist at one of our sleep centers.
- BiPAP machine – Bi-level positive airway pressure is similar to CPAP, but the level of pressure in the airway changes during exhalation and inhalation. Patients with lung disorders like COPD may be candidates for BiPAP because it can help increase lung capacity.
- Oral appliances – Dental devices like mandibular repositioning appliances and tongue retaining appliances may be used to treat mild to moderate cases of snoring and sleep apnea. Your dentist will supply you with these oral appliances and you may be referred to a BayCare Sleep Disorder Center to have the device adjusted to fit your needs.
Sleep Disorder Treatment in the Tampa Bay Area
Learn more about the many sleep disorder services offered by BayCare throughout Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Largo, Seminole, Safety Harbor, New Port Richey and the surrounding areas by calling (866) 328-9932 or talking to your physician about getting a referral for a professional sleep evaluation at one of our Sleep Disorders Centers. A diagnostic test such as a polysomnography, split polysomnography, multiple sleep latency test, home sleep study, or a CPAP titration study. Register for a class or event near you to find out more about PAP therapy and other sleep disorder treatments.