If you're planning to breastfeed your baby, St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital has certified lactation consultants available to make your breastfeeding experience a successful one. And our staff of well-trained nurses also offer lactation support 24 hours a day.
Breastfeeding can be one of the most enjoyable experiences for a new mother, and the health benefits are significant in both mother and baby. Breast milk is the perfect food for a baby as it contains everything a baby needs to thrive: water, proteins, fat, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, antibodies and live cells that protect your baby’s health.
BayCare now has a Breast Milk Donor Program to improve the health and nutrition of babies in the NICU.
It’s important to remember that while breastfeeding is natural, it is a learned skill for a new mother and baby. During the breastfeeding experience, mothers often have questions or concerns. Our lactation staff will provide education and recommend techniques to make breastfeeding easier for you and your baby. And our Women’s Health Resource Center offers a Nursing Mother class that covers the basics of breastfeeding techniques. For more information about this call (813) 872-2949.
Tips for Breastfeeding:
- Nurse your baby as early after delivery as you can
- Nurse your baby as often and as long as the baby wants to do so. It's normal for newborns to want to eat eight to 12 times in 24 hours
- As a nursing mother, you are your baby's only nutrition source. So remember to eat healthy
- Drink lots of fluids. Caffeinated beverages should be consumed in moderation while breastfeeding
- Indications that your baby is responding well to breastfeeding include:
- at least six wet diapers a day
- at least one soiled diaper a day
- you can hear the baby swallow when nursing
- breast are full before feeding and soft afterwards
More Outpatient Lactation Services for Breastfeeding Moms
All new moms need lots of help and support during the first days and weeks at home. This is especially true for breastfeeding moms. Research shows that easily accessible help from a knowledgeable, caring breastfeeding professional is a key factor in helping mothers meet their personal goals. BayCare offers a variety of maternity classes that help support breastfeeding moms, as well as equipment and accessories from Her Place, located at St. Joseph's Women's Hospital.
Outpatient breastfeeding consultations are available. For more information, please call (813) 872-3932.