Emergency Care in Tampa, Florida
If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please dial 9-1-1. For minor illnesses and injuries, visit BayCare Urgent Care for additional information and a list of locations.
The St. Joseph's Hospital Emergency Center is the busiest in Tampa Bay with an outstanding team of board-certified emergency medicine physicians, nurses and paramedics providing care to more than 150,000 children and adults every year.
Emergency Center in Tampa, FL
The St. Joseph’s Emergency Center team has more than 40 years of experience treating a wide variety of medical emergencies. We have a reputation for a high level of trauma and complex medical care. Our facility is:
- A Level II Trauma Center and a state-approved Pediatric Trauma Referral Center
- A private, not-for-profit facility, caring for every patient, regardless of ability to pay
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- A fully equipped trauma center, providing a high level of acute emergency care for children and adults who sustained life-threatening injuries, including from motor vehicle accidents and near-drowning
Advanced Emergency Care at St. Joseph's
We recently completed a renovation and upgrade of our Emergency Center. Our Emergency Center, equipped with the most sophisticated diagnostic and treatment technology, allows us to provide efficient and comprehensive care for each patient. Features of our 100-bed EC include:
- Experienced staff. We have a full staff of more than 30 emergency and trauma specialists, including:
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician’s assistants
- More than 160 patient contact/bedside team members
- Advanced trauma technology, including:
- Fetal monitor data connectivity. While a pregnant woman is undergoing treatment at our EC, the specialists at St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital can monitor the fetus, ensuring the safety of the unborn baby.
- Digital radiology. This allows our emergency and trauma physicians to view X-rays immediately so we can provide rapid treatment.
- Bedside ultrasound machine. We can start patients on intravenous (IV) lines much faster, giving patients much-needed fluids and medications.
- Expanded Fast Track area. When patients with minor emergencies arrive, we can treat them quickly and efficiently in our Fast Track area, getting them back home as soon as possible.
- Modern, sophisticated facility. Our EC includes:
- Bariatric Room. This specially designed room can accommodate larger patients in a comfortable environment.
- Charging stations. Patients and visitors can conveniently charge cell phones and other electronic devices in our EC.
- Boutique styling. We have made every effort to ensure that our EC is a warm, welcoming and reassuring environment.
Medical Helicopter III
Bayflite III, one of three helicopters in the Bayflite medical emergency helicopter program, is located at St. Joseph's Hospital. The helicopters bring life-saving trauma care directly to the scene of an accident anywhere in the eight counties that comprise West Central Florida. Bayflite III primarily travels to Hillsborough, Polk, Pinellas and Manatee Counties.
Steinbrenner Emergency/Trauma Center for Children
We care for our pediatric patients in a separate, child-friendly, emergency center. This specialized EC has its own triage, registration and waiting area, as well as a sibling playroom. The department, a state-approved pediatric trauma referral center, has a 20-station acute care center and a pediatric resuscitation room. Learn more about Steinbrenner Children’s Emergency Room.
Contact us at (813) 870-4104. We are located near the corner of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and Habana Ave.
Learn more about emergency care services at BayCare.