Neuroscience Services in Riverview, Florida
St. Joseph's Hospital-South Stroke and Neuroscience program provides cutting edge treatment and care for patients with stroke, brain, spinal cord or other neurological disorders. Conveniently located in Riverview, Florida, we offer services that range from diagnosis and evaluation to treatment and rehabilitation.
Stroke is caused by a blocked blood vessel or bleeding in the brain and is currently the nation's third leading cause of death. When a blood vessel in the brain is blocked, brain tissue is deprived of oxygen and brain cells begin to die within minutes. A stroke is therefore an emergency situation and requires immediate medical treatment.
Stroke typically presents as one or more of the following symptoms:
- A sudden severe headache
- Vision problems
- Trouble walking or talking
- Slurred speech
The stroke and aneurysm program at St. Joseph's Hospital-South utilizes the latest technology in stroke treatment and diagnosis. Whether it’s a cutting-edge procedure called coiling, used to stop the bleeding caused by ruptured aneurysms or revolutionary drug-delivery systems to more quickly dissolve the blood clots that cause strokes, we are equipped, skilled and prepared to treat you immediately. At St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, we also offer intracranial angioplasty, a procedure that loosens the plaque clogging arteries leading to the brain, and the new NOVA technology which allows fast, accurate and noninvasive determination of actual blood flow to the brain.
At St. Joseph's Hospital-South, we typically recommend spine surgery when other medications and therapies are ineffective or no longer relieve your pain. Our highly skilled surgeons use leading-edge technology, including minimally invasive procedures, microsurgery and Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS). We will develop an individualized treatment plan for the issues you are experiencing.
Our program features:
- Surgeons board-certified in neurosurgery
- Advanced tools and techniques
- A range of surgeries, including particular expertise in minimally invasive spine surgery and complex spinal reconstruction
The Stroke and Neuroscience program at St. Joseph's Hospital-South offers a wide range of surgeries for cerebrovascular diseases such as brain tumors, brain hemorrhages, blood clots, brain abscesses, skull fractures, epilepsy, Parkinson disease and more.
Cerebrovascular surgeries offered at St. Joseph's Hospital-South include:
- Brain surgery for aneurysms
- Brain surgery for AV malformation
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for brain tumors and AVMs
- Brain and spine surgery for cavernoma
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- Endoscopic third ventriculostomy for hydrocephalus
- Endovascular coiling
- Intracranial angioplasty
- Lobe resection (temporal lobectomy)
- Multiple Subpial Transection (MST)
- Peripheral neuropathy surgery
- Shunt surgery for normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Transsphenoidal endoscopic resection of pituitary tumors
- Trigeminal neuralgia surgery
Learn more about neuroscience services at BayCare.
For a physician referral, call (813) 644-6677.