Frequently Asked Pediatric Rehabilitation Questions
How do I get started?
Share your concerns with your child’s doctor, and have a referral sent to our clinic. Contact us to schedule your evaluation.
What can I expect from an evaluation?
This is the best time to discuss your concerns, your child’s medical history and school performance. Formal testing results and your concerns will be used to create a treatment plan. This session may last 60-90 minutes.
How often and how long will my child need to be in therapy?
One to three visits a week may be recommended based on your child’s needs. These visits usually last for 30–60 minutes.
What is feeding and swallowing therapy?
This teaches safe positive eating for children who choke, gag, refuse to eat and have a hard time with chewing.
What is aquatic therapy?
Aquatic therapy is therapy that takes place in a swimming pool. Performing usual therapy activities in the water is sometimes easier and works better for some children, helping them reach their movement goals.
What activities can I do at home to promote development?
- While reading books with your child, ask questions and compare the book to events in their life.
- Join in community events such as library time, play dates and team sports.
- Play age-appropriate board games.
- Take your child to the playground.
- Put together puzzles, play with Play-Doh and sidewalk chalk, dress up, and toss and catch a ball.
- Involve your child with daily chores around the house.
- Pick up small items using tweezers and tongs.
What paperwork do I need to complete for the evaluation?
Patients are asked to arrive 15 minutes early to their evaluation appointment to complete necessary paperwork, including insurance verification, patient identification and consent to treatment.
Is therapy covered by insurance?
Insurance coverage varies by provider. Please check with your insurance company to determine what benefits your child is eligible to receive.
For more information about our pediatric rehabilitation programs, call (813) 707-9362 option 2.
South Florida Baptist Hospital Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
1601 W. Timberlane Drive, Suite 800
Plant City, FL 33566