Physical therapists help patients improve their use of bones, muscles, joints and nerves. Patients with post-operative complications from joint replacements and amputations are treated with attention to their specific needs. Physical therapy encourages patients through a variety of exercises that improve strength, balance, coordination and endurance:
- Mobility: Assistance with strengthening to increase independence with getting in and out of bed, up to the chair, walking and wheelchair mobility
- Balance: Sitting and standing balance instruction
- Strengthening: Exercises to improve independence
- Endurance: Improved ability to perform activities
- Education: Use of equipment including walker, cane, wheelchair, safety techniques for patient and family
- Wound care
For more information about our physical therapy program at BayCare Alliant Hospital, please call (727) 734-6423.