Leading Edge Nuclear Medicine Imaging
Nuclear medicine is a safe, painless and non-invasive way to image the body through the use of computers and special cameras in conjunction with small amounts of radioactive substances that are introduced into the body. Nuclear imaging techniques go a step beyond standard X-rays and MRIs because they can show not only an organ’s anatomy, but how it is functioning. That’s critical information that otherwise would be unavailable, require surgery, or more expensive diagnostic tests.
Nuclear medicine is rapidly becoming the first choice for detecting early signs of disease, small tumors and even infections. BayCare Health System is leading the way, putting into use some of the most advanced techniques and technologies available.
Uses and Advantages
Nuclear medicine imaging techniques are often used to study organs such as the thyroid, heart, stomach and kidneys.
Advantages of nuclear medicine imaging include:
- Detection of abnormalities early in the progression of a disease, which means prompt treatment and more successful outcomes
- Provides information before the condition is apparent with other diagnostic tests
- Offers procedures that are helpful to a broad span of medical specialties, from pediatrics to cardiology to psychiatry
A Variety of Services, A Multitude of Benefits
While there are nearly 100 different types of nuclear medicine imaging procedures, BayCare Health System offers these techniques at imaging locations throughout our system:
- PET (Positron Emission Tomography): for studying metabolic activity and detecting conditions such as nervous system problems, epilepsy and some cancers
- SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography): helps determine a patient’s risk of having a heart attack
- Cardiovascular Imaging: detects blood flow irregularities. A MUGA (Multigated Acquisition) scan, for example, which studies the motion of the heart walls, shows how well the heart is pumping out blood as well as how effectively the main chamber is working. Thallium stress tests are also performed at a number of our centers.
- Bone Scanning: helps detect bone cancer, diagnosis unexplained pain, view breaks, fractures and other types of bone damage.
Determining the appropriate test for you depends on your symptoms and the condition being diagnosed. Rest assured that whatever the reason, BayCare Health System can provide you with the expertise needed to for an accurate and successful exam.
To make an appointment, please call:
Hillsborough County: (813) 635-3610
Pinellas/Pasco Counties: (727) 461-8555