How do I prepare for the exam?
- Any special instructions will be provided at the time you schedule your exam.
- Do not take anything that contains calcium or milk of magnesia the day before or the day of your exam.
- Notify a BayCare Imaging Professional if you are nursing or if there is a chance you may be pregnant.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to verify your registration information.
What should I expect during the exam?
- DXA is safe and painless. It requires no injections, invasive procedures or sedation.
- During the exam, you lie fully clothed on a padded table while the system scans one or more areas of bone (usually the lower spine or hip).
- While DXA uses X-rays, the radiation dose is less than during a chest X-ray.
What happens after the exam?
- A musculoskeletal radiologist who specializes in bones and muscles will review your images.
- The radiologist prepares a diagnostic report to share with your doctor.
- Your doctor will consider this information in context of your overall care and talk with you about the results.
To make an appointment, please call:
Hillsborough County: (813) 635-3610
Pinellas/Pasco Counties: (727) 461-8555